Thursday, January 31, 2013

1 out of 31,000,000......

Yikes....

I'm Katie, and I am now 1 person in a sea of 31,000,000.  31,000,000 bloggers that is.  With so many bloggers, there is no way I even hope to be relevant, interesting, engaging, etc.  But I am going to consider 'Mrs. Doctor's Musings' my version of therapy - it's free after all!

So.... attempting to write the awkward first blog.  Is it meant to be a hybrid of funny musings (as this entire blog, Mrs. Doctor's Musings, suggests) mixed with an "About Me" intro?!  

I think I'll wing it... I'll at least try to answer 3 basic questions:
1. Who?
2. What?
3. Why?


1.  I am married to a brilliant Internal Medicine resident! This qualifies me as a Mrs. Doctor.  We've been married since Dr. Husband (or DrH from now on!) has been in medical school, which means we've (hopefully) pushed through the worst of it.... but there is still the first year of Fellowship coming in just 6 months.... sigh. 

We've actually been dating since those glorious days of undergrad (our graduation):

















We were married in 2007. DrH was in medical school in southern California: 
















He (it felt like "we") graduated from med school in 2010:

















And now, we're in Durham, NC, where DrH is in his 3rd year of residency in internal medicine!

Some additional disclaimers/factoids:
  • I'm from Columbus, OH, born and raised.  Go Bucks!
  • I'm a vegetarian.
  • We go to church on Saturday.  This means grocery shopping on Sunday mornings in the Bible Belt is quiet! 
  • I'm not a doctor... although I apparently play one in the real word.  Folks assume that since I'm married to one, I should have some basic medical knowledge, and love showing me their booboos.
  • I'm usually pretty perky (so perky that when I'm tired, people ask "What's wrong?").
  • I was scared of driving until we moved to southern California for DrH's medical school.  I sucked it up.
  • We don't own a TV... but this doesn't mean I get zero reality TV programming in my life!
  • We live in Durham, NC, where DrH attends an awesome program!
2. What does "Mrs. Doctor" mean?  I hadn't heard it until we moved to southern California for DrH's medical school.  The school is in a town that is just ALL medicine/medical folks.  At one welcome reception, a Doctor's wife introduced herself to me as "Mrs. Doctor Smith".  I just assumed that meant SHE was the doctor!  Later, telling the story to my mom (my parents lived in this same town for years when they were first married), she mentioned that was how all the seasoned, old school Doctors' Wives introduced themselves.  

I don't typically introduce myself like this.  Only on special occasions. And annual Christmas cards.

3.  Why?  Why another blog about life?  Why another blog about being a Doctor's Wife?  There are plenty out there! 

Because I plan on sharing/venting/celebrating/discussing/laughing.  And I hope to help those who are currently living, or are going to live, this crazy life.  Plus, I live for my DrH's "You aren't going to believe this happened at the hospital" stories when he comes home at night.  They are hilarious!  They must be shared.

For you non-Mrs. Doctors out there... I just have to squeeze in vegetarian recipes, decorating, organizing, traveling (I travel a lot for my work, and I've become an expert packer), musings, etc.  Plenty!

I'm sure I'll ramble, too...

This journey will be a hoot!  Can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment