Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Out and About

It's so rare that DrH and I have a weekend off together.  By off, I mean he doesn't have to scurry off to save lives, and I don't have church obligations, friend parties (it has felt like a baby shower every week!), or just general "Our house is icky and it must be cleaned".

This past weekend was one of those rare weekends. But, considering it was a major holiday, we felt we had to celebrate big, and when it comes to Groundhog Day, we take it seriously and always celebrate to the max.  

I'm kidding, of course.  

Actually, slightly serious.  My MIL this weekend (who is a K-2 school teacher) mentioned that she made up all sorts of celebration ideas for Groundhog Day for her class.  I may have to start celebrating with my favorite - running around singing "I am a groundhog.  I wonder if it's Spring?" and then scurry under a table and pretend it's my tunnel.  Sounded like such fun!!

Anywho......... this weekend!  

It started with a fairly disappointing Internal Medicine function at a local restaurant (we were expecting dinner, not finger foods) Friday evening.  We won't go there, but I completely forgot about this function and was really excited to make potato soup and curl up on the couch to read magazines.... 

However, on Saturday, DrH and I zipped up to Virginia to stay with my in-laws.  Our mission - to attend the Washington D.C. International Auto Show.  DrH and I actually have a long history of attending auto shows together.  There was one year where we went to Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles, all in one year.  We're hard core.

We had a fun time!  My husband and his dad zigzagged around the show floor, saying "Ooo!  Look at that one!" or "Oh, have we seen this?".  They sat in almost all the cars.  It was obvious they were having a wonderful time!

DrH was car shopping for his sister, who's looking for a new car.  I loved these Fiats!



I have a different approach to the auto shows.  I hate sitting in the cars.  Why wait in line to sit in a car you have NO interest in buying?  I can see the interior fine from where I'm standing, thank you.  And I dislike the crowds.... So instead, I focus on DrH's joy.  He's having a great time!  

I also focus on the outfits.  The outfits of auto show attendees (I wish I had my camera ready to snap some of those outfits.  Yikes!), and, my favorite, the outfits of the sales people.  You can easily tell who the car manufacturer's target demographic is by the ladies sales outfits.  The favorite - Scion had these fun black and white polka-dotted blazers for the women.  That was cute! 

So definitely a quick trip - arrive Saturday, leave Sunday.  But those quick trips feel like a huge getaway!  You have to do what you can, together, when you're married to a medical man!

No comments:

Post a Comment